FLEET MOBILE MIXSHOW



Wednesday, October 7, 2009

NIKKI NICOLE WRITE UP How hungry are you? ON METROSPIRIT.COM

AUGUSTA, GA - Music is my life, my love and my passion, but at a very early age, I discovered I had no singing or rapping skills and I can’t even rhyme unless it’s “twinkle, twinkle…”

So I started thinking about what I could do in the music industry that would fulfill my needs. And finally, it came to me: I would be a radio personality!

I’ve been doing this job successfully for five years and, during these five years, I’ve come across all types of people. Rappers, singers, groups, dancers, producers, models, writers, interns, promotion teams and the list goes on.

I take my job very seriously and I would hope that anybody looking for success in this industry would also. I love to meet an aspiring artist who has a hunger for the game and works to make his or her dreams come true. I’m approached by at least 30 different artists a day by e-mail, telephone, MySpace and the new phenomenon Twitter. Everyone wants me to hear his or her music and give feedback. What I notice is that each approach is different and every grind is different.

No matter what type of job you want, your grind has to be persistent, especially in the music industry and especially as an upcoming artist. As a new artist, your job is to make your name the biggest name and not just in your city, but in every city. And make people remember it.

I understand if you have a 9-5, but that’s where a street team comes in handy. A lot of us make excuses, but if you want what this industry has to offer, you’ve got to be willing to make sacrifices. That may mean staying up to 5 a.m. the next morning in the studio, taking a promo trip to New York to promote your mix tape or investing your money into your movement.

With sacrifice comes time and you will not become famous overnight. Take the time to put out mix tapes, because it is one of the most effective ways to get recognition in the industry and start a buzz on your name.

The music industry is like running water and you’re a sponge soaking up every bit of information you can. Try to network with as many people as possible. Even as a radio personality I learn something new every day. It is about knowing what the big picture is and following the steps to reach it.

I like to give people different opinions, so I reached out to a couple of my friends in the industry to get their input about artists on the come up, and this is what a few of them had to say:

Waleed Coyote, 102 Jamz, Greensboro, N.C. “This could happen in days, weeks, months or 10 years, but you have to have a plan and patience. Also, get ready for major disappointment in the beginning!”

Scott L. Lewis, Owner, Bottom Feeder Music Promotions. “Listen to people in music positions and do not get close-minded! What your boys think is hot isn’t always hot. Talk to the DJs, radio hosts and general public, get true, real feedback and never give up on your dream. Remember, it takes months to break a record. I hear that Augusta, GA, has so much potential from a lot of artists who are doing great things throughout the city.”

DJ King Nade, Fleet DJs. “I would definitely always tell any upcoming artist to make sure he or she has a career and or a job on the side. A good job that don’t depend on rap and make sure you got your priorities straight.”

Hotshot, aka Mr Whatz Happenin. “Learn as much as you can about the business and how to promote yourself while investing wisely.”

DJ G Mac, WXDU 88.7FM, Duke University, Durham, N.C. “Be true to yourself and don’t have too many ‘yes men’ around you. Have people that will give their honest opinions about your work.”

As you can see, everybody has an opinion about the industry and the crazy part is everyone’s opinion is right. There is a lot of good music coming from right here in the CSRA and I can’t wait to see what’s next. Or shall I say, who’s next.

Support each other — you never know when you might need someone to support your movement.



CHECK IT OUT ON http://www.metrospirit.com

No comments: